Sunday, March 2, 2014

Maliq & d'Essentials

I have been saving this for a while and now I am sharing my #1 favorite Indonesian artist with you. Maliq & d'Essential is a jazz and soul musician/band from Jakarta, Indonesia. They combined both english and bahasa indonesian in most of their songs.

This band/group was introduced to me by a friend 6 years ago and their songs are the only song I listen in my car.  You ride with me, you ride along with Maliq and d'Essentials. I do not play other songs unless my other half said he wants to listen to another artist.

I collected most of their CDs during my trips to Bali and Bandung but still could not get hold of their first album, simply titled as '1st'. But thank you to You Tube,...yang jauh dapat di dekatkan...hahaha....I have so many favourites  but let me just share a few. For other videos you can search on You Tube la....

 Sampai Kapan (featuring Camelia) - Credit to You Tube and Indosan.
Itu Adanya - Credit to You Tube and 0345district
 Menikmati Cinta - Credit to You Tube and iliveibreath.

They do not have an official video for the above songs but I hope you'll enjoy them anyway.

The name MALIQ itself is an acronym from Music And Live Instrument Quality. They have performed in Penang, Malaysia during an International Jazz Festival and a RM98 ticket a piece for a free standing concert in Kuala Lumpur...Haih, free standing? Akak dah tak larat nak terkinja-kinja menari....at this age I am more of a lazy listener. Lepak kat pub ke kat bar...minum cocktail ke, coffee ke while listening to Maliq live.  Bila tu,...entah lah.
One thing I notice from each of Maliq's performance, they always put more twists and explore their music. The older the song, the better improvisation they do in their performance. That's a sign of a great band and great performer.
Happy listening....

No comments:

Post a Comment