Thursday, October 11, 2012

Fly me to the Moon - Danny Aiello


In the mid 90's I started working in Petaling Jaya.  When I started earning my own 'dough' I bought myself a 25" television and a Laser Disc player and stationed them in my room. Movie on laser disc capture a sharper image and better sound effect. I rented most of the movies and I also bought a few for my keeps.  Mostly second hand and at the time it cost me RM80 a piece. An original piece can cost up to RM150 - RM200. For those who haven't heard of laser disc, it was the size of a 7" vinyl record but much heavier in weight.  I still keep my discs which now, is collecting dust all over the cover. I don't know what the hell I am gonna do with it. With the invention of compact disc which is smaller and lighter, laser disc are non-existence today. The thought of throwing it away crossed my mind several times but yet they have some sentimental value to me.

These are my collections:
Only You (Marisa Tomei/Robert Downy Jr.)
Backdraft (Kurt Russell/William Baldwin)
X-Files the movie (David Duchovny/Gillian Anderson)
When A Man Loves A Woman (Meg Ryan/Andy Garcia)
While You Were Sleeping (Sandra Bullock/Bill Pullman)
French Kiss (Meg Ryan/Kevin Kline)
Pulp Fiction (John Travolta/Uma Thurman)
Bridges of Madison County (Clint Eastwood/Meryl Streep)
Once Around (Holly Hunter/Richard Dreyfus)

The song I selected tonight is Fly me to the Moon and it was the 'it' song for Once Around a romantic comedy  movie.

The original title for this song was In Other Words and recorded by Kaye Ballard in 1954. There have been various version by strings of other artist such as Nat King Cole, Tony Bennett, Diana Krall, and Amy Winehouse, just to name a few. But for me this song is synonym with the late Frank Sinatra. Music arrangement was done by Quincy Jones with a swing tempo. In a 1969 television performance, Frank Sinatra respectably dedicated this song "to the 3 brave man who flew to the moon".  He was referring to Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins.  Then it became a trademark for other astronauts to play or sing this song while in space to gain their 3 minutes of spotlight. However, the performance by Danny Aiello in this movie, has a lasting impact on me. The below is my favorite part of the movie.  



(Credit to You Tube and Universal Pictures)

It was also the ever first time I heard Fly me to the Moon.  Lyrics were simplest ever and straight forward. It only took less than two and a half minutes. No hidden meanings and when you have this song sang by your dad on your wedding.....ooo so touching. It reminded me when dad and I danced at his official retirement function in Bukit Aman.

Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars
In order words hold my hand
In order word baby kiss me

Filled my heart with song
And let me be forever more
You are all I long for all I worship and adore
In order words please be true
In orders words I love you

You may get slightly bored at the beginning of the video, but once Bella gave the song's introduction,....you will start to smile, enjoy the movie scene and sway to the beat. It works with me every time..........

Have a good week ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment