Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Still Got The Blues - Gary Moore

In 1989 I entered Sunway College.  It is a private college located in PJ New Town or more known as PJ State. I assume it is because of the old cinema building by the same name. Several years later, Sunway College shifted to the current location in Bandar Sunway. They are now known, Sunway University.

After my STPM I took a year off and travel to Australia and later upon returning, I did nothing after the STPM results came out.  Abah wanted me to enter the famous Vanto Academy to study law and do my final year in UK. Hmmm not sure if Vanto Academy is around today.  I refused just because.....I prefer not to disclose the reason. I did nothing basically in 1988; didn't work,...just lepak. 

I was in a very desperate situation.I don't know what I want to pursue. Pressure from all directions. What do I want to do? I jump to the opportunity after coming across an advertisement about courses offered at Sunway College in the newspaper. I always wanted to go and study in the States just like my 3 cousins. It took a while and lot to convinced my dad that there is where I want to continue my studies.They offered several courses under a twinning program with Western Michigan University. You do the first 2 years in Malaysia and carry forward your credit hours to continue with your 3rd and final year at WMU. Initially I took up Business Administration but in my 3rd semester I switched to Mass Communications since I did not excel in Economics and Accounting courses.

The deal was, I must stay with my grandmother in Klang.  Without hesitant I accepted. So for 2 years I commuted from Klang to PJ to attend classes.  Normally my classes ended by 3 pm except for my Public Speaking class.  It ended around 7:30 pm, once a week.

Traveling alone 4 days a week you get to see people from all walks of life be it on the bus or at the bus stop. And this is how it began.....All I wanted was to get to college soon as possible.  My stop was at Asiajaya and from there I either take the cab (in front of PJ Hilton) or walk to college. For over 45 minutes bus ride, I had my earplugs on and listen to my walkman. By the way there were no MP3s or Ipod back then.....

On several occasion I notice a tall guy always in blue shirt who would walk the same path as mine. He had his 'Top Gun' Rayban on...Once in a while we exchanged glances and that was it.  Things at college was happening and I never took much interest in the guy. I was in my the final semester at Sunway and will be leaving for the states by end of the year. I will complete 33 credit hours and it already qualify me to continue at WMU. But then the 'occasional bumping into each other' became frequent. Only then I noticed that we share the same bus, same route and his stop is 2 stops after mine (which later I got to know from him) along Palm Groove, Klang. Wowww, what do you know? Coincidence?

Why am I telling all this? About this time, I love listening to various selection of music genre and one of it is a blues number by Gary Moore's Still Got The Blues.  One morning, I hopped on to the bus and try to find an empty seat. It was 8:30 am and the bus was quite full but I was lucky enough to catch a seat way in the back of the bus.  I pause. It's that tall guy in blue (at the time, that's how I referred him as-don't know his name) and the seat next to him happened to be empty! Should I or should I not? May be I should just stand,...and hoping to give the seat to an older lady....eerrr old lady? where are you?....but why to that extend? Oh well, just sit la......and I did.  I played Gary Moore again and again and did not utter a single word to the tall guy in blue shirt. As they say, its a beginning of a new friendship and the rest is history......hehehe...We became friends and I found out later he was studying interior designing at Saito Academy, Menara MPPJ.

As time past we finally got to know each other really well. Then in December 1990 I left for the States. What happened to the tall guy in blue? Ours was not meant to be...we just withdrew from each other. Long distance relationship can't  last? Perhaps. Who knows.....

To the late Mr Moore thank you for sharing your blues with me.

  (Credit to You Tube)


No comments:

Post a Comment